The discussion list of the PPHSN is primarily meant to serve for outbreak alert to trigger preparedness.
It is also the main PPHSN media for wider communication and coordination.
PacNet is a forum for communication regarding public health emergencies, including those of international concern. PacNet thus assists in implementing the International Health Regulations (IHR 2005) in PICTs.
If an outbreak occurs, a message must be posted very quickly on PacNet – even if not all the information listed below is available – in order to warn health professionals in the region about the potential threat and to encourage preparedness.
Please address the message to [email protected] and use the following format:
· Causative (or suspected) agent
· # of cases: total, severe and fatal
· Case definition used and clinical particularities, if any
· Diagnostic methods, # of samples tested, laboratory involved
· Prevailing epidemiological pattern: endemic or epidemic, recent epidemiological history
Measures taken or considered:
· · Additional testing
· · Further investigation (source, risk factors)
· · Public health measures (e.g. immunisation strategy, patient and contact management, vector control,
water and food safety)
Additional resources needed to confirm/monitor/control the outbreak (if any):
· · Reference laboratory assistance
· · Technical advice or assistance (e.g. regional epidemic situation, immunisation strategies,
· · Material assistance (e.g. vaccines, drugs, bednets, insecticides, health promotion materials)